
The election is over and the votes have all been counted. No matter how you voted or how you feel about the outcome of the election, you have to admit that we are seeing history in the making. It is a momentous occasion in the history of this country!
The history teacher in me and the woman in me that has sorrow for the way our country has treated its own in the past is jumping up and down at the idea that we have broken a barrier that has been very strong for over 200 years. I look at this day with mixed feelings, but am proud to see our democratic system really take over. More people than ever have voted in this election and we have our first African American President! That is something that just 20 years ago, I would not have thought would be possible. Look at the possibilities that this offers. We could really have a woman president some day....maybe a Hispanic American president. Just to see that our nation overwhelming looked beyond the stigma of color and chose a president that was not just like all the others.
I see this day as a step in history. For so many years color has played such a strong role in choices we have made. Whether on purpose or not, the race of a person has often guided decisions. Today's generation does not see the color of a person as much as they see the heart of a person. My daughter has taught me this. I have grown up somewhere between two totally differing mind sets and find myself often torn between them. Leave it to my girls to push me more in to seeing as God would see......color blind. I have often "talked the talk" but I am learning that "walking the walk" is not as easy. It makes me step back and evaluate my ideas and my beliefs. It makes me look at the world I want to live in one day and have to decide how to live to see that world come about. I'm sure that my decisions and choices will not always be understood or even accepted by some, but I am choosing to believe people, no matter what race, religion, or nationality, are people made in the image of God. They are loved by Him and we are instructed to love them as He loves them.
As this new season in our history begins, I still see promise and hope. Even if I may not be too certain of the party that has gained power I am certain that our democracy is alive and well and in knowing that, I know that our country will continue to be one of the greatest nations. We have a government of the people, by the people and for the people. We are still a nation who pledges to be "One Nation Under God" and "In God We Trust" for our continued prosperity.
History is in the making around us. We are in a generation who sees no bonds of color to restrain dreams. No matter what, a line has now been crossed, that should be crossed and will forever change the face of this nation and the world.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal........"
God bless American....today and forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment